Last summer, Laughing Gull Chocolates intern, Lauren Stone, wrote some blog posts. Here is Lauren's guest blogpost on How to Make Chocolate Truffles in 10 steps!
Along with knowing exactly what and where your ingredients are from, Laughing Gull wants the process to be transparent also. Though we can’t reveal all the secrets that making Laughing Gull Truffles so delicious, the basic process is extremely exciting and is part of what makes Laughing Gull so unique. You may be surprised at how simple it is. Check out the 10 steps- if it looks like something you might enjoy, check out our website to sign up for a chocolate making workshop where you can try your hand at truffle making.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles in 10 Steps
- First, gear up in very cool aprons and even cooler hairnets. That looks like this:
- Next, make the ganache that will go inside of the chocolate shell. (The basic formula for ganache is cream plus chocolate - we use top secret recipes!) Laughing Gull’s four classic flavors are raspberry, chocolate, coffee, and salted caramel. We also like to branch out and experiment with unique fun flavors such as mimosa, s’more, mojito and pomegranate honey.
- Once the ganache is made, form the molds to the shape you desire or pour it into molds.
- Refrigerate these ganache until it is the right consistency.
- Once the ganache has hardened in the molds, remove the truffles from the molds (if they were in molds)
- Meanwhile, temper chocolate. Tempering means heating and then cooling chocolate to make it into a smooth liquid that is suitable for dipping truffles into. It should give it a glossy finish and a nice snap to it.
- Dip each truffle individually into the tempered chocolate to give it its chocolatey, glossy shell.
- Decorate each truffle by hand. The raspberry truffles get pink sugar added to the top. That looks like this:
- Put the truffles into boxes.
- Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.